Florida Psychological Associates LLC
A Moment in the Limelight:
Dr. Laura Hume, Phd.
President of Florida
Today, we are bringing one of our fearless leaders, Dr. Laura Hume into the limelight for a moment. Dr. Hume is a licensed clinical psychologist in the states of Florida and Georgia. She is a clinical researcher and has a variety of experience using evidence-supported practices in treating and assessing for psychological disorders. Dr. Hume also supervises half of our FPA staff. If you know Dr. Hume, you know she loves to encourage others and has a passion for helping and if you don’t, get to know to her below:
1. What is your favorite quote that inspires you?
- I love poetry and have had so many quotes that have inspired me. Nearly every week I have a new one bouncing around in my head. Recently I’ve repeatedly thought about this quote from a favorite poet of mine after I was inspired again by it when a close friend brought it up. “Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? - Mary Oliver
2. Describe yourself in 5 words
- Cerebral, Funny, Adventurous, Honest, Driven
3. Why did you become a psychologist?
- I’ve always been fascinated by what drives human behavior and emotions. Even as a child I often thought about how to help people who are suffering and believed that in doing so you can change the world. Now I can’t imagine a more inspiring and rewarding profession.
4. What gets you out of bed in the morning?
- Usually my 3-year old daughter.
5. How do you balance your work and your personal life?
- Although it is difficult at times, I try to separate my work life and home life by having a “break time” between the two. Recently this has been a 30 minute walk or yoga video.
6. What 3 songs would be included on the soundtrack of your life?
- "What a Wonderful World" - Louie Armstrong; "Flicker and Shine" - Old Crow Medicine Show; "Blackbird" - The Beatles
7. Describe your perfect day.
- I love days that include a variety of activities. For me it would probably include reading, studying, or working, doing something outside- like a hike, and definitely involve some good food, great company, and lots of laughter!
8. What is your favorite book that you read over and over?
- I love the Harry Potter series and could probably read it over several times again. I love reading, but often don’t read a book more than once.
9. What is your favorite thing about FPA?
- I’m living my dream! I love treating children and families, supervising and teaching others, and adding to the field of knowledge through research projects. I love being able to learn from the amazing- thoughtful, eager, and insightful mental health professionals at FPA and growing together as a team.
10. What is a must on your bucket list?
- I have a lot of amazing things on my bucket list (riding in a hot air balloon, sky diving, cruise to Alaska, write a book, go on a helicopter ride…and many more!)
11. What makes you happy?
- I love laughing and joking. My favorite people are people that are funny! Telling and hearing good jokes and stories is amazing!
12. What you would say to yourself at age 13?
- Hang on and Get ready for that wild and precious life!
13. What is one thing you could never live without?
- Cheese- or maybe Chocolate
14. If you could choose another profession, what would it be?
- I really don’t think I could be happier doing anything else… the closest would be a teacher or full time college professor.
15. Do you have any hidden talents? What are they?
- I love music and recently learned to play the ukulele!
16. What is one thing that you want our readers to know about you?
- Although I sometimes might come off as intense and a little perfectionistic, it’s really driven by a passion for how best to help children and families in need get to a better life. I daily push myself and those I work with to do this important work in the best possible ways we can.
1903 Island Walk Way, Fernandina Beach, Florida 32034
542194 US-1, Callahan, Florida 32011 | 130 N Gross Road, Kingsland, Georgia 31548
Phone (904) 277-0027 | Fax (904) 775-4480| firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © Florida Psychological Associates LLC. All rights reserved.